Friday, October 24, 2008

Easy, Cheesy Broccoli Soup

I'm nervous about it getting colder. I always gain weight this time of year. It's a combination of wearing lots of layers, wanting to eat warm and filling meals, and lots of holiday treats. I did find this recipe the other day and it ended up being very yummy. Be forewarned that it is NOT creamy; it has a broth base. However, it is easy, yummy, healthy, and warm. A great winter soup!

6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 pound broccoli
1 pound cauliflower
10 oz Velveeta 2% (the light kind)

Boil the broccoli and cauliflower florets in the chicken broth. While the veggies are boiling, cut the Velveeta into cubes. When they are soft, squish up the veggies with a potato masher right in the broth. Add the Velveeta cubes and continue cooking at medium heat until the cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately.

And the best part of this soup? Only 1 point per cup! Makes 8 servings.

P.S. I'm not usually a big Velveeta fan, so this didn't appeal to me at first, but I thought it was worth a try for only 1 point per cup. It adds a cheesy flavor without adding too many calories, which is great! Tip: the Velveeta was MUCH cheaper at Wal-Mart than anywhere else I looked.

2 comments:

France said...

We had this for dinner tonight. Yummy! I love the fact that it only has 4 ingredients and only took me about 1/2 hour to prepare. I too don't normally like Velveeta, but this didn't have that "velveeta" taste to me. Thanks for sharing. This might become a favorite during the winter months. Do you mind if I include it in my cookbook? Lashelle

France said...

I got a coupon for $1 off of Velveeta, so we are going to make this again. Have you heard of the blog called http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/ I love it! I have gotten some really good deals. Lashelle